Thursday, January 22, 2009

Caffeine Highs and Lows

Cranky doesn't begin to describe it. I've been slowly cutting back on my favorite cup o' Joe in the morning in anticipation of IVF cycling, and today, I bravely kicked the habit completely.

Frankly, if not for coffee and chocolates, what else is there to look forward to in a life consumed by doctor's appointments and work? But my Starbucks and Illy addiction is sadly no more. I tried replacing it with a cup of tea this morning, but blegh! Suffice it to say that it's NOT the mama.

I used to favor tea over coffee every time. In fact, I never used to touch the caffeinated stuff. But after I met dh, the coffee ritual became a sacred part of our mornings.

Giving up coffee is a small enough price to pay in the pursuit of a baby, I guess. After all, if we're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a petri dish miracle, the least I could do is give up coffee. Dh drank coffee this morning and beer tonight... It's not even worth giving him the evil eye, but hey, *somebody* has to look after those precious, expensively retrievable sperm.

1 comment:

ME! said...

Oh man...of all the things that has to be done to prepare for IVF- giving up coffee scares me the most. I am a different person. I have tried twice to quit. It is an addiction I tell you!!! :)