Saturday, October 10, 2009

30w4d - Another eventful dr's visit and trip to L&D

Some things - like doctor's visits - simply can't be rushed. 10 hours of waiting, scans, and testing, many of which was spent getting acquainted with the Labor & Delivery unit... More on that little excursion later.

First, we have lots of good news to celebrate. Our three baby girls are growing like weeds!
Baby A: 3 lbs 8 oz
Baby B: 3 lbs 11 oz
Baby C: 3 lbs 4 oz

That's 10 lbs 7 oz of babies. My oh my.

The biophysical profiles on the girls are looking fine, even though they each scored 6/8. The trio must have conspired beforehand, because the u/s tech couldn't catch either of the three doing a 30-second breathing movement. The girls scored 8/8 on their previous two BPPs, so nobody seemed concerned.

The perinatologist congratulated me on "growing such nice, big, healthy babies." It meant a lot to me hearing how pleased my peri is with the girls' progress.

Although our baby girls are looking terrific, the perinatologist diagnosed me with cholestasis of pregnancy. Lovely. But no real diagnosis on the constant upper right quadrant stabbing pain that I've been experiencing for the past few weeks, so off to L&D we went for further testing.

I spent about five hours in a hospital gown in the L&D triage area (can you say dress rehearsal?) The nurses hooked me up to a contraction monitor which showed I was having lots of contractions, but none that were regular enough to cause alarm. My husband found it amusing that many of the contractions were off the chart, and that he could tell when I was having a contraction.

They drew blood and wheeled me to the ultrasound suite for a closer look at my liver, gallbladder, and kidneys.

They checked the babies' heartbeats again (and with a little guidance from the mothership), were able to track them down easily. All good.

The hardest part was not being able to eat all day. I had a small breakfast around 6 a.m., we drove to the peri (about an hour away), and because of how the day unfolded, didn't have a chance to eat. Before we headed to L&D, I practically inhaled a yogurt, but then one of the L&D docs on duty said not to eat anything else in case they needed to do a C-section. Scary thought. 12 hours on a piece of toast and yogurt when you're expecting triplets... pure torture.

Fortunately, the u/s and blood work all came back normal, so I was discharged. Hooray! I've never been so happy to go home, eat, and of course, cook the babies some more.

Oh, and thank goodness for all of you who advised me to go ahead and pack that bag, because I had my laptop with me for distraction and having my stuff plus the babies' stuff there gave me fewer things to worry about when it seemed like I might need to be admitted.


Anonymous said...

Wow! What a Day that was for you. Scary thought is right, to go to a Dr visit and be told "just in case we have to do a C-Section" That would terrify me.
Glad the babies are doing well, The weights sound fantastic!

poppy.f.seed said...

I am glad all went well, and yes, you are growing the babies well, hurrah!

Carrie said...

Yikes! So scary!

I am glad you get to keep baby-baking and your doctors are monitoring you closely. Great weights on those girls- they are going to be so strong! :)

Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

Okey Dokey....keep that lap top with you, your bag packed....lots of distractions....TV, DVD's......and be prepared for lots of waiting.....and gown the sounds of'll getting close my dear.....time to start accepting that mommy-hood is almost upon you! :))))) Watching my email subject line daily now. OH, before any popping, run out and get Mr D 3 big cigars.......he's going to need them....and maybe yourself a small bottle of champers to celebrate...When do the folks arrive? Hugs and Lots of Love, Sharon

Jennifer said...

I have a blog award for you on my blog. Pop over to my blog to receive the award. :)

Michele said...

I hate the whole "dont eat" thing. Especially when you are carrying multiples, not eating wreaks havoc on your body!

The Patterson's said...

Sounds like quite a day! Glad everything is okay and the girls are doing great!