Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lupron "flare" protocol - stim day 3

My RE has me on the regular dose Lupron "Flare" protocol. I jumped right in with stimming on CD2 with a combo of gonadotropin (Gonal-F) and a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonist (Lupron).

Since I'm at a higher risk of developing OHSS, the doses are 150 iu Gonal-F and 0.05 ml or 5 units of Lupron every night. So far, I had a killer headache today and lingering nausea throughout the day, but no other discomfort. It was incredibly hard to focus on work today, but I gave it everything I had. Of course, I came home and crashed, and woke up at 9 p.m. to do the injections. Having to wake up from an early evening nap to inject myself is an entirely new experience, and one I do not wish to repeat often. Having said that, I'm already on autopilot with the injections. So far, it's real simple, fast, and much easier than I thought it would be.

I use the Gonal-F RFF Pen: http://www.fertilitylifelines.com/serono/products/gonalf/pen/instructions.jsp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADyj_nLKqs

and Lupron:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sKKDH9qCkE

In terms of the cycle, I'm hoping for quality over quantity, and since this is my first IVF go around, it's hard to know how my body will react to the stims.

In addition to severe Endometriosis, I've now heard three different REs say that I have many antral follicles and although I don't have classic PCOS, I have "polycystic-like ovaries" - whatever THAT means. I guess time will tell. At least my new RE listened to my concerns, and agreed that I may have greater success with lower doses. All in all, I'm okay with less meds.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Our cycles are so similar its amazing. I totally hear ya on this post.

Here's to quality over quantity!

Kate said...

Congratulations on starting your cycle! I missed a few days in there and whoa! 3 days in already.. that's great. One of the things I like about the frequent monitoring is that they can adjust on the fly if they need to-- hope all goes well and so glad you have such great family support.

Megan said...

I'm on less meds too. I overstimmed last time. I guess I'll see what I get...if I don't get cancelled again.